and Underground Railroad Museum
The Underground Railroad was the first great freedom movement in the Americas. It was the first time that good people Black and White and of different races and faiths worked in harmony for freedom and for justice. The abolitionists would use railroad terminology to confuse the slave catchers. A CONDUCTOR would be a person who would lead the fugitives to freedom. It would be their responsibility to get the PASSENGERS (fugitives), fom one Station (safehouse) to another until they would eventually reach a TERMINAL in northern U.S or Canada, where there was freedom.
At the entrance to the John Freeman Walls Historic Site and Underground Railroad Museum, there's a historic plaque that reads; In 1846 John Freeman Walls a fugitive slave from North Carolina built this log cabin on land purchased from the Refugee Home Society. This organization was founded by the abolitionist Henry Bibb, published of the Voice Of The Fugitive, and the famous Josiah Henson. The cabin subsequently served as a terminal of the Underground Railroad and the first meeting place of the Puce Baptist Church. Although many former slaves returned to the United States following the American civil war, Walls and his family chose to remain in Canada. The story of their struggles, forms the basis of the book "The Road That Led To Somewhere" by Dr. Bryan Walls erected by Proverbs Heritage Organization with the assistance of Maidstone Township and the ministry of culture and recreation.
Notice: Please adhere to current Covid-19 Government Safety Precautions
The John Freeman Walls Historic Site and Underground Railroad Museum Hours Of Operation: Tuesday-Saturday (June - July- August) 10 am - 4 pm (weather permitting).
By appointment (May- October). Please Call: 519 727-6555 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org